Benvenuti / Welcome to

Formia

 

 

 

 

Formia is situated on the spectacular Gulf of Gaeta, and its name is derived from the Greek word "Hormiai" meaning "a safe place to lay anchor".  

 

Even back in Roman times it was a fashionable holiday resort for statesmen, and today many ruins of ancient monuments of this era still exist. Some of these include: Tomb of Cicero, the Muro di  Nerva ( remains of  the  city

 

walls built be the Emperor Nerva), the Peschiere (fish hatcheries), the San Remigio Fountain on a tract of the old Via Appia, the Criptoportici, and Villa Rubino, not to mention all those detailed below.

 

After the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 AD, this area fell into decline and was repeatedly attacked by the Barbarians and then by the Saracens.  The townsfolk were forced to take refuge in the surrounding hills.  However, gradually over time, two settlements developed.

 

 

 

 

Next - Formia (page 2)

 

Home   |  Contents  |   Tre Cancelle Farmhouse Apartments   |  Contact

Holiday  Rentals in the South Lazio  Area  |  Property  For Sale in the South Lazio Area

Contact Us

 

Tre Cancelle

Farmhouse Apartments

Near Sperlonga / Itri

 

Tre Cancelle  Blog

 

“Avanti Sempre Avanti” Blog

 

Holiday Villas

Near Sperlonga / Itri

 

Property For Sale in the

Sperlonga / Itri Area

 

CONTENTS

Home

Sperlonga

Itri

Gaeta

Formia

Maranola

Trivio

Castellonorato

Spigno Saturnia

Minturno

SS Cosma e Damiano

Castelforte

Suio Terme

Fondi

Monte San Biagio

Lenola

Pastena

Pico

Campodimele

Terracina

San Felice Circeo

Sabaudia

Sonnino

Priverno

Fossanova

Sermoneta

Sezze

Ninfa

Norma

Anzio & Nettuno

Pontine Islands

Cassino & Montecassino

Caserta

Atina, & Val di Comino

 

 

Website, text, photos  

©  LM  Shapcott 2009

All rights Reserved

Except where photos have been rightfully accredited to the photographer / owner

 

 

The first, named Mola (di Gaeta), was situated on the waterfront, the second, positioned on higher ground, on the remains of a Roman colony, was Castellone.  In the 13th century Charles II D’Anjour ordered the construction of defensive towers in each of these villages and in the mid 1400’s Onorato I Caetani, Count of Fondi, built a castle in Castellone.  Each of these communities still has their own churches and patron saints.  Eventually, many years later in the 1800’s the two districts were united to form the town of Formia as  it is today.

 

 

As you approach the lower part of the Castellone district with the sea glistening behind you, it’s as if walking back in time.  Just outside the old city walls is the 15th century Church of San Rocco, which has a 16th century triptych of the Virgin and Child with San Rocco and San Sebastiano by by the Neapolitan painter Girolamo Stabile.